Among the special dates that people choose to travel, New Year’s Eve is one of the favorites and, among many, Cusco is a very special destination. Few places offer the possibility of discovering an ancient culture and, at the same time, enjoying the benefits of a cosmopolitan and stimulating environment. Whether you want a mystical experience or a more conventional one, the city of Cusco offers a variety of options for those who wish to visit it at the end of the year. Following, we present five reasons why you should visit the city during this holiday.
- Discover new traditions. The people of Cusco perform various rituals during the new year in order to have success and prosperity. If you visit the city during these dates, you too can be part of these traditions. One of them is to make a circuit around the Plaza de Armas at 12 p.m. It is said that, if you manage to go around it 7 times, good luck will accompany you throughout the new year. On the other hand, if you celebrate this holiday somewhere else, you can join in or observe other customs such as sprinkling “yellow mistura” (mixture of small flowers and cut paper) in the doorways of houses and businesses. This color is related to optimism and prosperity, so you will also see many people wear garments of this color, and flowers of this hue decorating many places.
- Visit Machu Picchu. Who wouldn’t want to take the opportunity to visit one of the wonders of the world? In addition to having fun and spending a new year’s in a diferent way, you can get to know the ancient Inca citadel and have that photo you always wanted! If you want to reserve a room in our hotel, send us a message to email@example.com.
- Have a mystical experience. If you want to escape the noise and the crowds, Cusco has beautiful mystical destinations that will fill you with energy to start the new year right. Villages like Ollantaytambo or Pisaq, which are located near the sacred mountains, provide the perfect places for those who want to give a special meaning to this date.
- You can make a “payment to the earth” offering. The ritual “payment to the earth” is a custom that is carried out very regularly in the month of August, but the new year is a also a perfect occasion to perform this ancestral rite. During the ceremony, you can give thanks for everything received during the year and, at the same time, ask Mother Earth what you desire for the following months. This is an opportunity for reflection that will allow you to return from your trip to Cusco with energy and optimism.
- Exit the routine. As the famous writer Graham Greene said: “Traveling allows you to run away from the daily routine, from fear of the future.” Dare to experience for yourself a different kind of new year in Cusco!
Leave us your comments in the box below and tell us what was your best New Year.